Montrose Opened For Fall Flowering Galanthus elwesii var. monostictus

Posted by on November 29, 2010

It was a cold November day, at 2:00 PM on a Saturday, when the Galanthus elwesii var. monostictus opened for a few of Nancy Goodwin’s Gardening Friends at Montrose.  In all, there were three groups of about 10 who toured.

As we trickled in over a 20 minute period, groups were formed and led away.

Craufurd Goodwin greeted our group along with Cathy as our guide, bringing up the rear.  Nancy and Cheryl had gone ahead, leading the other groups.

This was my 5th visit to Montrose, my second time when there were no leaves on the trees.  During spring and fall visits, there was gaiety in the visiting gardener’s voices. High chatter with a festive air. During this visit, the tones were hushed; silent almost. No idle chit-chat; the expectation of what we were about to see was treated with a degree of reverence. We weren’t told to act any certain way, it just occurred naturally.  It’s not everyday one can witness ten thousand Galanthus nodding in the woods.

I’m not certain of the exact number, nor is Nancy.  They grow in the woods in multiple areas, with one area about 300 feet long.  This is not a sight many have seen.  Indeed, even locals have only been able to see these for the second time.  This is their second blooming.  I missed last year for some reason, I can’t remember.  I can promise you though, if I had seen these in bloom, I would have remembered what I was doing that day.

After our 45 minute walk in the woods, we were led to the building that was once the law office at the home of 19th century NC Governor William Alexnder Graham.  Treated to cookies, cider, and toasted pecans grown on the Goodwin’s pecan trees, cracked by Nancy’s hands and cooked to perfection with butter and salt at 275 degrees F for 30 minutes. While I can duplicate the temperature and time, there is no duplication of the nut and ambiance where they were eaten.

Nancy enjoys a winter garden, as do I.  We are so fortunate to have something in bloom all year long.  Nancy just so happens to multiple what most of us can do by 10,000.

Now I wait for spring when ten thousand poppies bloom…

Enjoy the November sightings!

Nancy Goodwin with David Spain and Jared Barnes

12 Responses to “Montrose Opened For Fall Flowering Galanthus elwesii var. monostictus”

1. Frances says:

OH MY! What a sight! Reverence is the word for that garden, Helen! What a wonderful description of a special day and place. Thank you for taking us along with you.
    xxoo

2. Gail says:

Helen, What a fantastic garden~ and your photos are delicious. Goodness, I can only dream of planting tens of thousands of bulbs! Thank you for sharing this delightful day with us. gail

3. HelenYoest says:

Thank you Frances and Gail. When you are in Raleigh, I will take you there. There is something beautiful to see everyday of the year.

4. So happy for you all. Those pictures of them littering the woods with their little blooms says it all. It’s nice to see your happy posts again my friend.~~Dee

5. HelenYoest says:

Thanks Dee! H.

6. Cindy, MCOK says:

I remember Montrose fondly … the Colchicums were blooming when I toured. The Snowdrops are even lovelier. I’m so glad you were able to experience them and share the joy with us!

7. If you ever find a source for the monostictus variety, please let me know. Old House Gardens doesn’t currently list it, just the plain species which blooms in spring.

8. HelenYoest says:

Yes Cindy, weren’t they just perfect during the opening for Garden Writers? I wish you were with me Saturday; no doubt you would have been wowed again.

9. HelenYoest says:

Hey Kathy, in sent you a note, so you know that the ones I have are not listed as var. monostictus. I’m hoping Nancy will have them for sale during the spring opening. I will let you know.

10. Nancy Goodwin says:

Thank you, Helen, for your report of our Snowdrop Walk last Saturday. I will pot up bulbs of Galanthus elwesii var. monostictus for sale at the winter workshops.
    Nancy

11. Carol says:

Helen, thank you for describing it this way. It is interesting the hushed voices… I would love to have seen it with you!

12. What a magical sight! I long to see Montrose for myself, but your photos are the next best thing.