When a volunteer Bradford pear showed up in my garden, Helen’s Haven, I tried working with it. I wasn’t happy it was there, but it served a purpose by blocking the guy-wire for the telephone pole. I tried pleaching it to give it some character but in the end, it was a horrible tree with thorns 3-inches long. It had to go.
For a while now, I’ve wanted to add a Heteropterys glabra, redwing vine but I needed a support of some sort.
Then it occurred to me, I could use the existing trunk of the tree as the prop for the vine to trellis up. @Helen Yoest Click to Tweet!
I’ve had my eye on this plant at the JC Raulston Arboretum for some time, but I didn’t have a place for it…until now. With my chainsaw, I carefully cut down each branch, purposely leaving nubs, because I thought it looked more interesting that way.
After I studied the trunk for a while, I thought it would add value if I gave it some color, so I painted it the hue of the bench in the back and other accents around the garden.
It also happens to be the same color in the redwing vine.
As an added bonus, it makes a great location for the kids to display their Halloween decorations <3