Gardeners Roll Call: Monday, July 31, 2017

Posted by on July 31, 2017



Monday…sometime in the middle of the night… 0.4 in.

Friday, a blessed 2.6 ins.



Well the temperature was lower, but by 5:00 in the afternoon, it didn’t make any difference. After break, I drove to Piedmont Carolina in Greensboro to pick up the plants for the new peninsulas. Once I returned, I planted the eight native fringe trees, Chionanthus virginicus. It was an easy dig since the soil was new. What I was happiest about wast that I planted the fringe trees with out hitting the bottom. I know Jorge put in an extra deep base, or was it JayTee the contractor. Anyhoo, I was happy I didn’t hit bottom. Tomorrow, I’ll add the other fixtures of the beds.


A HUGE day getting the Peninsulas planted. I planted what I thought were eight Chionanthus virginiana, but was was a bay laurel instead. They look somewhat similar, I didn’t even realize they were different until it was in the ground.  I also planted 12 ‘Snow Queen’ oakleaf hydrangeas, four Rudbeckia herbstsonne, four Solidago rugosa ‘Fireworks’, four Rudbeckia subtomentosa ‘Henry Eilers’, eight flats of Catharanthus roseus, commonly known as the Madagascar vinca, a light pink with deep pink eye and a deep pink. Also in these fun beds, I added three each (12) Rudbeckia fulgida ‘Goldsturm’.

I’ll admit, with the heat and size of the job, I should have spread it out, but I get so focused, there was no stopping me. I paid the price Wednesday.


I needed to do some grooming in the front garden, so it was my plan to get out there first time. Those plans failed. David, Aster, and I needed to go to the bank to get an account set up from him. I was able to start around 1000 AM and only had an hour to get what’s needed until the sun was too hot on my back. That was find; I puttered around with the chicken run, which is in the shade, and ended working around 1:15. I was really too tired from yesterday to do much more. The rest of the day was spent errands, in particular, taking Aster around, or rather, he driving me around so he can get practice and the needed hours behind the wheel before he can get his license.. BTW, he is a very good driver!!!

In the morning, I posted this pic of my girls in their run. While the focus is on my girls, as they should, I noticed the patch work I added with additional wire as the a girl or two would fine their way out. Rocks at work are not a problem. Each day, I pick a fist-sized rock or three and bring home. I’m slowly adding them around the inside edge of the girl run. The next picture you see will be more aseptically pleasing.


I have been a mess all week, and was determined to stay clean. That didn’t happen. As I walked around, I surveyed what all needed to be done. My first thought was to just water and groom. My gardens were starting to look tired. They needed major cut back to flush back out, deadheading, and deadleafing.

Park Inn Room 34, that old favorite, called my name first. There were these beautiful canna; I’m not sure what they are. I moved them to the back of the bed. Tall plants in front of the pond is like siting your couch or chairs with their backs to you as you enter. The water feature should be open and approachable. I also added eight more rescued Christmas ferns, and watered.

Then I went next door to Park Inn Room 17-20. That garden was hit hard by Sunday evening’s 2.6 ins.of rain gully washer. I also did a general grooming (deadleaf, deadhead, pruning.) There was a lot of mulch that washed into the patio as well. All better now.

With those areas looking posh, I went back over the new peninsula beds. I have GOT to come up with a clever/cute name for these new areas. Hmmmm, Penny Road? The Dick Van Dyke beds, Skateboard Central, Hump Worthy, Forever Watering? Maybe you have a nice suggestion.

I started putting in the last six ‘Snow Queen’ hydrangeas. It was the end of the day, there were a lot of roots I needed to work around. I decided to leave this until the morning.

After watering Penny Lane, I also watered the Roost and the Dovecote.

I convinced Greg to let me see if I could get the fantastic Dovecote (the bird house, not the shop) looking fresh. There were some warped boards, and they were fixed with sinking in deep wood screws. Jorge helped me to pull the two pieces of wood together so they would meet once drilled. As soon as I got one side done, the other side warped. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow.

One of the most exciting things about working at Fearrington Village is that the Carrboro area and part of the Monarch migration path. In Raleigh, we only get a few stragglers. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, but it is so nice to see Monarchs here in July. I have to wait until September to see them in Raleigh.


Drove to Big bloomers to pick up additional plants for the four new planting beds. Let’s see, they were iron weed, Joe-pye Weed, Phlox ‘Shortwood’, a pink phlox about five feet tall.

In my punching a clock world, I was quickly running out of hours at Fearrington this week. There was so much to finish up, particularly with the four new plantings beds, and keeping them watered before the weekend, I went over. It had to be.


Weekend Gardener on location at The Pavillon at Carriage Farm. Afterwards I stopped by the Bee Better Demonstration garden at the NC State Fair. I was just dropping stuff off. On Wednesday, the Bee Better Intern starts, so I think we will go over there to work on the beds some. Nathalie will also be helping my in the demonstration garden. We feel very fortunate to have help, given how busy we are. especially with the pending fair coming up.


We woke up to a morning low tempter of 64ºF. It was almost too good to be true!

I had a chance to spend some time with my girls this morning, so I canceled my client to spend some rare and cherished time together. In the afternoon, Lily helped me in the garden for about three hours.

Nice visit with Beth. When I got there, Suzanne and Charlotte were also visiting. It was fun to see them. After then left, Beth and I had some alone quality time together. Always fun to visit.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *