Carolina Gardener: 2014: Lasting Impressions. How to build a hypertufa trough, March
Triangle Gardener: A Love Triangle, Plus 1, January/February
Country Gardens: 2014: Grassroots, What are your favorite new plants for 2014?
Carolina Gardener: 2014: A Garden to Remember, January
Gardening expert at Answers.com.
Editor and writer for Tarheel Gardening.
Triangle Gardener: 2013: Living Wall Art – The Latest Trend in Gardening, September/October
Country Gardener: 2013: Dahlias Don’t Disappoint, Fall
Country Gardens: 2013: Grassroots, What are the best trees for fall color?, Fall
Carolina Gardener: 2013: Stumpery Style, July/August
Carolina Gardener: 2013: The Thrill of the Threshold, July/August
Carolina Gardener: 2013: Short, Tall and In Between, Design tips for a beautiful garden at all levels, May
Country Gardener: 2013: Katie’s Krops, Summer
Triangle Gardener: 2013: Slow Flower Farming at Terra Ceia Farms, May/June
Christian Science Monitor Slow Flow Farming
Small Gardens magazine: 2013: Depth Perception, Classic charm keeps this New England coastal garden in constant fine form.
Small Gardens magazine: 2013: Problems? We’ve got solutions. Tackling the 15 most common challenges for cramped yards!
Flea Market gardens magazine: 2013: Made in the shade. A shade garden offers a wonderful respite from the sun, giving a cool feeling even at the height of summer.
Container Gardens magazine: 2013: Color Up. Succulents used in courtyard containers give color, texture, and require very little maintenance with a waterwise design.
Deck, Patio & Outdoor Living: Spring 2013: Casual Elegance, cover story.
Country Gardens: January 7, 2013: Hell’s Angels Feature story about Pine Knot Farms, and hellebores.
Country Gardens: Grassroots, January 7, 2013: What are the the Southeast’s best roses.
Southeast Gardener’s May Checklist
Triangle Gardener : January 1, 2013 March Madness: 2013 Philadelphia Flower Show – Brilliant!
Country Gardens: Grassroots, March 7, 2013: What are your best plants for hanging baskets?
Triangle Gardener : March 1, 2013 How to Make a Lasting Impression with a Hypertufa Trough
Lawn and Garden Retailer
Country Gardens magazine
Field Editor, Contributor
Create your own dragonfly garden, inspired by the work of Louis Comfort Tiffany
The Well-Shod Shed – Cover
What was once a fairy tale playhouse in North Carolina has become the centerpiece of an editable landscape.
Raising Vegetables – Cover
As Green as it Gets
Early Spring 2012
A Way with Flowers
Country Gardens magazine’s Southeast Columnists
- Fall 2012 — What are your best late-season performers?
- Summer 2012–Which roses grow best where you live?
- Spring 2012 — What do you plant to attract pollinators?
- Early Spring 2012 — Mail order catalogs
- Summer 2011 — New plants for 2011
- Spring 2011 — Bulbs for springEarly Spring 2011
- Fall 2011 – Organic pest control
Better Homes and Gardens
Easy-to Make Troughs
Bird & Butterfly Bistro
Southern Living magazine
Scale up for Impact
Fine Gardening magazine
Southeast Regional Report
Plants for Shade
Carolina Gardener magazine
Color My Winter Beautiful
Grow Your Own Mushrooms
The Glory of Gates
The Traveling Garden
Making a Frog Friendly Garden
Taming Tough and Tiny Spaces
Your Level Best Garden
The Story of a Garden
A Formal Design with Natives
Inviting Wildlife to your Backyard
Movement in the Garden
The Enchanting Garden
Growing Privacy, Fast!
Gaining New Heights in the Garden
Make Your Fence Your Folly
Winter Interest Under Way for Umstead Hotel and Spa
Handling Houseplant Pests
Urns Elevate our Garden’s Status
A Perennial Favorite: Spring Plant Sale Held on the Grounds of the NC State Fairgrounds
Terrariums for the Holidays
Artful Inspiration in Chapel Hill
Visiting Longwood Gardens
Have a Plan Prepared
Adding Layers of Light to Your Garden
The Lights Fantastic at the Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens
Transform Your Garden with Moss
An Arbor Addition Transforms the Garden
The Virtues of Herbs
Be Creative with Container Gardens
Winter Wonders: Plants for you and the Wildlife
Keep Your Garden Growing in Late Fall
Fall for Autumn
Create Focal Points in Your Garden
Designing with Vines
Welcome Home as Close as the Curb
Easy Steps to a Garden Path
Creating a Wildlife Habitat at Home
Piedmont Chapter North American Rock Garden Society
The garden sculpture and gardens of Marty and Alan Finkel
Lesson your footprint through sustainable gardening
The Walk Along the Waterway
Hats On To The Annual Gala In The Garden
The Garden Conservancy Open Days Tour 2009
Elizabethan Gardens Delight Visitors
Creative Design Draws on Asian Influences
Pedigree Gardens Chosen For Garden Conservancy’s Open Days Tour
Midsummer Eve Parties Benefit JC Raulston Arboretum
Chapel Hill Kicks Off Area Spring Garden Tours
Triangle Style magazine
Plant Bulbs This Fall For Spring Flowers
The Larkspur Party
Caring For Orchids In Your Home
Beyond Bunnies: Accenting Your Garden with Art
Living in Style magazine
Blooms & Brunch, a fun morning with a friend
Martha Stewart Living
- Martha Stewart Living — In The Garden
- Sketching an idea
- Gardening for the Seasons: Winter
- Gardening for the Seasons: Spring
- Gardening for the Seasons: Summer
- Gardening for the Seasons: Fall
- Lighten Up
- All About Moss
- Holding Onto Winter
Better Homes and Gardens
- The balance of light in the garden
- Garden design: a guide to curb appeal
- An attractive fall wreath starts with a disliked vegetable
- How one gardener deals with weeds in lawns
- Break with tradition: Have a pink and red fall garden
- Flower arranging made simple with flea market finds
- A southern garden thrives in the heat
- Why I became a rock gardener
- How to create garden art in five easy pieces
- Garden art: beyond cute concrete critters
- Give a landscape time to mature
- How not to read a gardening magazine
- Gala in the garden
- Moss in a hypertufa dish garden
- Creating a garden journal
- Make a terrarium
- Do botanical names really mater in gardening?
- The garden in winter
Gardening with Confidence
Since 2007 – Producer, editor, writer
Moss and Stone Gardens — Where Moss Rocks!
From 2011 – 2012 – Producer, editor, writer
Since 2010 – Producer, editor, writer
- Expert Plant Picks — Eastern United States
- December Inspiraton — ‘Tis the Season of Evening Lights
- November Inspiration — The Fifth Season
- October Inspiraton — Fall for Fragrance
- September Inspiration
Follow Helen on Facebook